Hello MIFC Families,
As part of the community we wanted to reach out to offer information and support to you as parents and players.
We hope you are all staying healthy and safe. In our previous communications we indicated that the club is cancelling all in person team activities as mandated by the Governor Inslee. That date is now extended to at least May 4th. Now that schools are cancelled for the rest of the academic year we will likely be prevented from in person activities after May 4th due to field closures and other restrictions. We are monitoring the situation and making alternate plans for Select tryouts, Juniors and summer activities. We will be sending out those plans as soon as possible.
During this time of social distancing and downtime at home it can be a struggle to stay positive and motivated. We will get through this together by supporting each other and using the resources we have at our disposal to keep active in mind, body and spirit.
The club has a few resources to offer:
· See the link here to get ideas on how to maintain your fitness to stay physically active and be ready once we have reached a time where normal soccer activities can resume. There are also game footage and mental training ideas you can watch and learn from. We will try and post more videos and content here throughout the school closure to keep it fresh.
· We began play in our MIFC FIFA 20 XBOX Island Cup. See the details here. We will do another tournament after the conclusion of this one if there is interest.
· For Select players, your coaches will be reaching out to you to check in and give you ideas on how to stay in shape. Feel free to reach out to your coaches as well.
For parents and families, we know this can be a difficult time juggling working from home with children who are bored or looking to you for attention and support. Here are some links from the MISD that may be helpful.
· Talking to your Kids about Coronavirus
· Helping Children and Teens Cope with Anxiety
· Parent and Caretaker Resources
Here are a couple of more that are more sports related from Positive Coaching Alliance
· Using the Sports Shutdown to Recover the Joy of Sports
· Dealing with Disappointment During Coronavirus Cancellations, Postponements
With respect to the club’s plans at this moment our plan is to provide resources and support to our community as much as possible during this time. Registration for our programs – Recreational soccer and Juniors is open but at this point we do not know enough about how activities will resume to address the Select Soccer tryouts and season. We are planning to be ready for tryouts in May should we have access to fields. If we do not have access to fields, Washington Youth Soccer is providing guidance to us to plan to have “virtual tryouts” and form teams without on-field tryouts. We would then have tryouts when fields to open for our youngest ages (U10) and to fill out teams that have already been formed. These are contingency plans and by no means are set in stone. We will keep you updated at things progress but we will have plans for situation as it changes.
To any of you who are medical professionals and health care workers please know we appreciate what you are doing and the sacrifices you are making for our community. Our sincere thanks!
Please keep safe and healthy. We look forward to seeing you on the fields when we get through this.