Hello MIFC Families,
In an effort to be as forthcoming and informative as possible, the Board at MIFC is sending you this message to provide you with our recent decision regarding Return To Play (RTP).
After careful consideration and debate, MIFC’s Board has decided to begin operations, including group/team training, when all of the conditions have been met to enter Phase 3. We feel this will provide the best balance of safety for families, players, coaches and others while providing a realistic outlet for players to return to play and prepare for the fall season. We are further constrained by the availability of fields, as Mercer Island Parks and Recreation has told us they will not be renting fields to any sports organizations until after June 30th.
We are taking the next couple of weeks to develop specific guidelines on what procedures we need to follow when we return in Phase 3. Those considerations may change our approach to many things such as the types of activities we allow (non-contact), modification of rules (such as throw-ins), monitoring of health, use of masks, etc.
MIFC's decision to return to play in Phase 3 was made in accordance with guidelines outlined by US Youth Soccer and Washington Youth Soccer, and was informed by the following resources:
- US Soccer Federation
- Washington Youth Soccer (WYS)
- Washington Health Departments
- Medical Professionals
Additionally, we are guided by Washington’s Phased Approach in reopening businesses. We have considered our decisions carefully and will continue to do so as conditions change with the health and safety of our families foremost in mind.
We are hopeful that there will be a full fall soccer season, and we are making plans for that as recommended by Washington Youth Soccer. This is why we have opened registration for all of our programs and recommend you register so that we can plan accordingly. MIFC is a volunteer run, community non-profit organization. If you are planning to register but have not yet done so, please do. Uncertain registration numbers make it difficult for us to plan effectively, including projecting the number of coaches (who depend on this income) MIFC will need to hire to support our programs. When we have a more solid date for returning to play, we will begin planning a more definitive timeline for fields, referees, etc.
If you are planning to play Select Soccer, a $500 deposit is due upon registration with the full registration fee due prior to the beginning of the season (we will establish a date when that is known). All fees will be prorated and/or refunded if the season is materially shortened or cancelled.
If you have registered for Recreational Soccer programs, we will prorate or refund fees as well, if seasons are shortened or cancelled.
*The club offers financial aid for families for whom COVID may have affected their ability to front registration fees.
The model for RTP recommended by WYS follows Washington's Phased Approach. This model does allow for some group activity in Phase 2 and we are aware that other soccer clubs in the area may make different decisions and decide to open sooner or later. We also recognize that families may make different decisions about when to allow their players to return. MIFC has decided as a Board that returning to training in Phase 3 is the best approach for our community with the information we have at this time.
Please take a minute to look at the Washington Youth Soccer Return to Play Guidelines at washingtonyouthsoccer.org.
Expect more communication soon on specific plans and updates.