What to Expect at Tryouts
Select Tryouts are typically comprised of two 90-minute sessions and consist of a combination of warm-ups, small-sided games, and larger games. Players all wear numbered jerseys provided by the Club and are evaluated and ranked by the coach and two independent evaluators, assessing factors such as their soccer technique, tactics, fitness, athletic ability, and attitude. With the possible exception of the coach, the evaluators will not have any children participating in the tryout.
What to Bring
- Soccer ball marked clearly with your name on it (U10-U12 - size 4; U13 and older size 5).
- Water bottle.
- Goal Keepers bring your gloves.
- You will receive information on expectations of player commitment, which should be signed and returned on Day 2.
What to Wear
- Cleats and shin guards (required).
- Dress in layers according to weather conditions per that day.
- Please do NOT wear current team/club uniform.
- Please read MIFC's "Play-Up Policy" at the bottom of this page.
- If you intend to "play up", you must attend the first session of your defined age group (i.e., your calendar birth year) as well as the first tryout session for your desired age group.
- Notify the registrar prior to tryouts via email and at check-in if you are intending to try playing up and if you would like to be considered for your current birth year team as well.
- Players are expected to attend all tryout sessions.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in with the Registrar, get tryout number and start warming up (coming early allows your son/daughter to get checked in, collect paperwork and assign them a pinnie with their number).
- Tryouts will be a combination of skills, drills, and small sided games.
- Players should relax and have fun.
- ONLY Players, Evaluators, Field Marshalls and the Club Select Coaches are allowed on the field.
Tryouts will be held at various locations, including MIHS, IMS, South Mercer Playfields, Island Crest Park and Bellevue locations. Please review the tryout schedule to see where your tryout will be held.
Player Selection Process
The first eight players for U10, the first eleven players for U11, and the first thirteen players for U12 and above are selected based on the rankings of the evaluators, including the coach. The coach, considering other factors, such as player positions, prior experience, and other discretionary factors, fills the rest of the slots. The team size is up to the coach, subject to an Association mandated maximum of 12 for U10, 14 for U11 and minimum of 14 and maximum of 18 for U12 and above.
At the conclusion of each tryout day, evaluators will determine a numerical ranking for the players. The evaluators will make their selection of the top players for the team from overall rankings after the final day of tryouts subject to the rules on playing up (see Playing up Restrictions), except for the family member of the head coach. The head coach may complete the roster with discretionary selections that need not agree with the evaluators' rankings for the remaining spots. Players failing to meet the Playing up Criteria are not eligible for discretionary selection by the head coach. If necessary, the family member of the head coach may be one of the discretionary selections.
If there are one or more players at the tryouts who the head coach does not want on the team because of non-soccer skill issues, including perceived attitude problems, that player(s) can be excluded from the selection with the approval of the VP Select.
If, due to an injury or illness of which the coach is notified, a player does not attend tryouts, the player may have the opportunity to tryout at informal sessions at the discretion of the coach and with an independent observer, assuming the roster is not completed.
It is the Club's intention to carry two teams of each age and gender for U10 and above. A third team may be formed if there are enough interested players to support an additional team.
Player Notification Process
Selection results will be posted by pinnie number on our website, generally by 9pm the day after your age group's last session. If offered a spot on the team, players must notify the coach of their intent by e-mail or telephone within 24 hours of the posting. If you do not notify the coach of your intent to join the team, then he/she may decide to offer your spot on the roster to another player. Players must also register for their team on the MIFC website and pay a non-refundable $100 deposit to secure their spot (financial aid inquiries can be made by contacting the Treasurer).
If your appropriate age group is U10 through U14, you may play up one age level. A player must be determined by the independent evaluators to be in the top five of the age group they are trying out for. No more than five players may play up on any one team. Once a player reaches high school (U15 and above), the play-up restrictions are lifted, and the player merely has to be selected in the top 18 players. There are no play-ups for U09.