Concussion Awareness Facts and Guidelines
MIFC, in association with Washington Youth Soccer, complies with all Washington State laws regarding youth athlete safety. Two important laws specifically apply to Washington Youth Soccer activities: House Bill (HB) 1824 and Senate Bill (SB) 5083.
In order to comply with HB 1824 (Concussion) and SB 5083 (Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Act), there are three required actions for WA Youth Soccer clubs and associations:
1. Annual Statement of Compliance from Parent/Guardian and Player – Each year, prior to the beginning of the soccer season, each registered player and the player’s parents and/or guardian must sign and submit to the club or association a statement of compliance that the player and parents and/or guardian have both read the online pamphlet for Concussion and Sudden Cardiac Arrest.
2. Coach/Manager Training and Certificates of Completion.
Concussion: Every year, each WA Youth Soccer coach/assistant coach/team manager must complete an online concussion prevention program and submit a certificate showing completion of the program to the club/association.
SCA: Every three years, each WA Youth Soccer coach/assistant coach/team manager must complete an online Sudden Cardiac Arrest prevention program and submit a certificate showing completion of the program to the club/association.
- Statement of Compliance from Club/Association – When requesting to use a school facility, the Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) requires our clubs/associations to comply with HB 1824 and SB 5083. Upon request, the club/association must be able to provide a Statement of Compliance to the school district. The statement is a signed letter by a club/association Board of Director member, stating that all registered players and parents/guardians have read and signed the Concussion consent and Sudden Cardiac Arrest pamphlet and all coaches/managers have certificates of completion in compliance with the HB 1824 and SB 5083. (confirm with the local school district if they require any additional information)
MIFC Coach Concussion Fact Sheet
MIFC Parent Fact Sheet
Visit the WIAA for the following information:
- Head Injury Guidelines and Procedures
- Full text of the Zackery Lystedt Law
- Coach's Guide / Fact Sheet (English and Spanish)
- Parent's Fact Sheet (English and Spanish)
- Athletes Fact Sheet (English and Spanish)
- Informed Consent Sheet (mandatory for all Washington Youth Soccer players and parent(s)/guardian(s) to review)
- School District Statement of Compliance
- Links to educational videos